Lynn's Diagnosis

Lynn has passed the year mark since her surgery and diagnosis of Breast Cancer December 2010. Please read our infrequent posts below to learn more information. Thank you all for your support!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Round Three is Tomorrow

Greetings from sister-in-law Lynn Anne, here to report on the awesome Gibbs Family.... headed up, don't we know, by the Amazing Super Woman, Lynn Rae. There is no way to describe the scene here without multitudinous hyperbole. The family members carry on with great aplomb. Lynn, the caretaker, continues in her role even if she is sometimes on the couch directing the show. She stoically heads in to Manhattan for her chemo and associated appointments. Next comes the two day round of steroids which sends her spinning into a whirl of dedicated activity ...Rita needs a little walk, what sounds good for dinner, has Kat done that prepping for her SATS, is Ian feeling better, did he get the right meds, has Phil found his missing sox, the flowers need water, I'll just need to get this paper over to the printer for the House Tour; Lynn Anne, do you need another pillow? Let's get this all sorted out!! This is so the Lynn Rae you have come to know and love, right?

When the steroids finally wind down, then she is just as gracefully her Lynn Rae quieter self sipping her lemon water and directing the family show from the couch, with fireplace ablaze and Rita curled up at her feet. She looks gorgeous: the wigs and turbans and scarves and beanies have been branded by the familiar LRG panache.

I could get quite long winded on this blog. So I'll try to circumvent that trend. Instead, I'll sum up by saying I have learned so much this visit about bravery and patience and grace under fire. Everyone does their part, and if you don't know how to do your part, then you just figure it out, as the family effort moves toward health and wellness. The International Club has been providing luscious and healthy meals, the neighbors have done the same. Well wishers and family members call and send applesauce from Gramma Jane's recipe. Kat has been so helpful with doggy Rita's walks and doing grocery store runs, all the while balancing her school demands and SAT prep, and social life. Ian flew home to see his mom, obviously a picker upper of the spirit! Hubby Phil has 'circled the wagons' so artfully. He's a cook, bottle washer, launderer, Pilates buddy, tea maker, and active best friend. I'm proud of the way my brother has grown and matured through this family event /ordeal / crisis ( ... what does one call it? It is that 'silver lining thing' we've all read about on the Hallmark cards... but now the family is living it, and the silver linings are abundantly real, even if difficult to recognize at times.) For my part, I have become so aware of all my little innocuous complaints I am in the habit of making in the course of any day... my irritating little hang nail, the burst shampoo bottle, misplacing my cell phone ... and then I think, good grief. woman, do you hear yourself? How does Lynn Rae walk through this frightening, shadowy time with such courage and strength and patience and love ... and without complaining!? There is my silver lining, my lesson to learn from my visit here. What an honor.

Humbly and with love, Phil's sister Lynn Anne

10 comments:

  1. Hang in there Lynn,

    Phil, sorry to read of your growing maturity.... we'll fix that in Utah!

    Cheers,
    All the best.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lynn, Phil, Ian and Katrina!..

    You are all in my thoughts on a daily basis. Lynn I saw the result of one of your bursts of energy (adorable gifts of Chloe outfits!) Joni is super excited to get warm weather here to be able to put her in them!

    I'm busy with wedding planning.. avoiding wedding faires and pushy vendors!

    Thank you soooo much for teaching my Mom a lesson! :) Love Karen B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn Anne is are an amazing writing and I was able to get a very good sense of the goings on and the overall atmosphere at the Gibbs home. You nailed Lynn perfectly. She's everything you mentioned and more. I love her and her beautiful family.
    Here's to a few good Steriods day coming your way girlfriend.
    LOVE YA, Friends for Life-Laurie Marceau-Glass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn. Lauren just sent me a copy of Lynn Anne's post and connection to this blog. I was so sorry to hear what you are going through but grateful that you recovering well. I know that with your amazing strength and the wonderful love of your family that is evident in this blog (and that I have enjoyed reading about)you will come through this even stronger! My thoughts and prayers are with you and I wish you the best and happiest birthday (can you believe we are 51)! Love ya, Julie Wooldridge (Ridge)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lynn, who knew that steroids would be considered a GOOD thing? I remember those East German "women" on steroids back in '76 being pretty scary! The only thing scary about you will be those damn cancer cells dying right and left as you vanquish them with your beautiful and powerful spirit (like the way you dominated Paul P back in 5-6th grade). You stay strong and kick ass, girlfriend!

    Love, Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to my sister for a thoroughly enjoyable and well written blog and for her tireless efforts through snow and flu.

    In the wake of her departure, wind and rain crushed Rye this weekend. Trees down everywhere, no electricity, and no cable either. Fortunately, our trusty generator allowed the pumps to prevent us from flooding. Add in Chicago style pizza (thanks Alberti) that we heated on the gas grill. Lastly, the Smiths brought us a homemade lasagne in spite of a massive pine landing on their garage/home on Saturday. Yikes!!!

    Keep pushing Lynn. Your limitless love and care are being returned to you by all of your friends and family.

    Love,

    pg (the guy in the pictures)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never one to want to miss a little adventure, I wish I could have been there for the storm! I should always check Accu weather before I do any planning, right?... just kidding. We could have played Charades or poker. No? Well, okay, we could have enjoyed the fireplace and wine with our candlelit pizza from Alberti's. Just one more round, Lynn, and then you can know you're half way through this stuff. We are all pulling for you, and sending prayers, too.

    Love, Lynn Anne from CA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn,

    I've been thinking about you guys. Graham R. arrives tomorrow from BKK and will be staying here for awhile.
    I hope things are progressing well and that you are managing through the chemo. I can only imagine. It is so wonderful to have such a close and supportive family. Keep hanging in there. We may be far away physically but close in spirit.

    Cathy, (Tom and Nick send their love too.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynn, sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts your way. How is everything going? I hear the weather is warming up with some really nice sunny days. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy the sunshine! Love you, ana

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness - what wonderful posts, and how amazing (but unsurprising) Lynn R is coping - I can only add my love and thoughts to the pile, and let you know that I am thinking of you, always.
    Love Kelly

    ReplyDelete